High School Semester-Long Internship
Internship opportunities during the school year are available for highly motivated high school students at PPPL!
The spring internship application is open September 1 through November 30.
The fall internship application is open February 1 through April 30.
PPPL's Science Education department offers a limited number of internship positions for outstanding high school seniors throughout the school year. Each term, which lasts about 16-weeks, offers students the chance to work on a project with a member of our research or engineering staff. The exact dates of the internship depend on the individual participant's school schedule.
To be eligible for the semester-long internships, students must:
- Be at least 16 years of age AND a graduating senior in high school when internship begins
- Arrange with their school a schedule that provides sufficient release time
- Earn academic credit from their school for their participation
- School administrator or Guidance Counselor must provide an email confirming academic credits to: firstname.lastname@example.org before accepted student begins internship
- Work at PPPL during regular business hours for at least 8 hours/week in periods of at least 4 hours per day** SATURDAY/SUNDAY WORK IS NOT ALLOWED
- United States citizens or permanent resident alien at the time of applying
- Obtain transportation to and from the laboratory (The High School Internship is a commuter program. Housing is NOT provided. Reimbursement for mileage to/from the lab is NOT provided)
It is strongly recommended that:
- Students have some experience relevant to an experimental or computational project in plasma physics
- Students have a strong interest in plasma physics, fusion energy, etc.
- Students have taken some or all of the following classes: physics, chemistry, advanced math, engineering, etc.
**Note: Internships during the school year require students to have early release from school or a complete day off. We cannot accommodate students who are only available after regular school hours. Regular business hours are Mon.-Fri., 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
If you have any further inquiries, please contact Shannon Greco at: email@example.com
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory managed by Princeton University.
© 2017 Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. All rights reserved.